BEETROOT & CITRUS SALAD
This here salad has it all- sweet oranges, earthy beets, bitter leaves and a creamy base to tantalise and nourish your eyes, belly and bod! Packed full of vitamin C, fibre, antioxidants and probiotics: What-a-lot-I-got!
TOTAL COOKING TIME: 60 mins
4 large beetroot (for boiling / roasting)
1 beetroot, raw
1 bulb fennel
1 TBS wholegrain mustard (can substitute dijon mustard)
1 tsp honey
2 TBS apple cider vinegar
100ml olive oil
200ml full cream Greek yogurt
Handful of pecan nuts, or nuts of choice
- Bring the 4 large beetroots to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, about 45 minutes to 1 hour
- Make the flavoured yoghurt by zesting one orange into the yogurt & season with salt, place in fridge
- Toast your nuts in a small pot until slightly coloured, roughly chop and set aside
- Peel one orange and either segment or cut into rounds. squeeze excess liquid into the small pot
- Squeeze the juice of the other orange and put on high heat to reduce by half the liquid
- Meanwhile, slice the raw beetroot into matchsticks and the cooked beets into wedges and disks (nice to have variety), and season
- Thinly slice the fennel
- Once the orange juice is reduced and still hot add the mustard, honey, vinegar and olive oil, whisk.
- Place the cold yoghurt at the bottom of 1 large serving plate or 2 dinner plates, scatter over cooked beets, fennel, oranges, watercress then raw beets.
- Spoon over warm dressing, top with nuts and finish with extra olive oil
GF | VEGETARIAN | RSF